Many common laundry detergents get rid of the odor temporarily. However, a more effective way to eliminate urine odor is to simply use a product designed for the problem.
Pet Stain & Odor professional-strength laundry detergent formula contains enzymes that break down the uric acid crystals that cause urine odors and stains in soiled fabrics.
If you’re looking to clean and deodorize a urine-soaked mattress, then you’ve found the right place. In this article, I’ll review the best laundry detergent for urine odor that quickly eliminates odors from your water-safe fabrics and leathers.
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top 3 Picks:
Top 12 Best Laundry Detergent for Urine Odor 2021 – Reviews
I’ve picked this laundry detergent for urine odor from my experience. With the in-depth analysis, you’ll get to choose the compatible one for your need.
#1. Tide PODS 4 in 1 Febreze Sport Odor Defense 61 Count
- PACKAGING MAY VARY
- Each Tide PODS is a 4-in-1 breakthrough technology with detergent, stain remover, color protector, and Odor Defense technology, giving you more bang for your buck
- Tide PODS pacs are small but powerful. They pack 6X cleaning power* in half the time (*Stain removal of 1 Tide PODS pac in Quick cycle vs 6 doses of the next leading liquid HE-compatible detergent in...
Tide PODS 4-in-1 laundry detergent pods with Febreze Sport is a concentrated, ready-to-use odor-fighting formula that keeps your clothes smelling clean and fresh for up to 10 wash cycles.
It comes in a convenient pack of 8 Tide Pods with 2 extra HE Tide Pods. This pack contains 61 counts of Tide Pods with Febreze Sport which are ideal for the whole family and fit all washing machine brands.
#2. Nature’s Miracle Dog Stain and Odor Remover
- Tough on urine, feces, vomit, drool and other organic stains and odors
- For use on carpets, hard floors, furniture, fabrics and more
- Enzymatic formula
Built from powerful enzymes and top-shelf non-toxic ingredients, Nature’s Miracle Dog Stain & Odor Remover is proven to get rid of dirt and odors for up to 30 days.
Safe for your pets and family, the solution is also gentle enough for everyday use on clothing, carpeting, or upholstery. For best results apply once a week in the Spring through Fall months.
#3. Sweat X Sport Extreme Laundry Detergent 45 Loads
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED LAUNDRY DETERGENT soap for activewear and athletic workout apparel.
- REMOVES AND ELIMINATES THE STINK including sweat stench, body odor and armpit funk from all fabrics.
- PROTECTS AND RESTORES FABRIC PERFORMANCE including moisture-wicking, compression and breathability.
The Sweat X Sport product family is a high-performance sports detergent formulated with skin concerns in mind. Formulated for activewear and all fabrics, it effectively removes stains while leaving the colors vibrant.
It not only cleans but also restores softness to fabrics as well as protects from odors leaving you with a fresh feeling.
#4. Rockin’ Green Platinum Series Active Wear Laundry Detergent Powder 90 loads
- GET CLEAN AND ODOR-FREE CLOTHES: You can use Rockin' Green Active Wear Laundry Detergent as a wash or as a soak! It’s suitable for all water types and all washing machines including HE.
- PERFECT FOR ACTIVE WEAR: Our sports detergent works great as an odor eliminator and stain remover. It’s also formulated to protect the fibers in your athletic wear and workout clothes.
- NON-TOXIC AND PLANT-BASED: Our activewear soap contains all-natural ingredients that are not harmful to sensitive skin. It’s free from parabens, optical brighteners, and artificial fragrances. Plus,...
Platinum Series Active Wear Laundry Detergent Powder is a powerful, concentrated laundry detergent specially formulated for activewear.
With powerful cleaning ingredients like oxygen bleach and fabric softener, this environmentally-friendly powder removes stains from most activewear and even works in some hard-to-clean areas such as seams and sleeves.
Rockin’ Green Platinum Series Active Wear Laundry Detergent Powder – Unscented, All Natural, Vegan, Eco-Friendly, Non-Toxic, Stain & Odor Remover comes in a 45 oz. bag – 90 loads that are reusable every time you wash your activewear.
#5. Persil Laundry Detergent Liquid 110 Loads
- Persil laundry detergent contains a powerful stain-fighting combination for a premium clean
- Great for everyday laundry and to help fight tough stains
- This concentrated formula delivers 2X more cleaning power in every drop vs our standard Persil liquid detergent, so you don’t have to use as much to experience premium clean
The Persil 2X concentrated laundry detergent liquid is a high-efficiency detergent for spot and odor removal that is proven to leave fewer stains on clothes, giving every wash a superior clean.
The new formula has a strong cleaning power with the most powerful cleaning agents without damaging colors or intensifying odors.
#6. Biokleen Bac-Out Natural Stain Remover
- Destroys the toughest odors so they are gone for good
- Kind to those with chemical sensitivities and allergies
- Bac-Out is safe to use around children and pets
Biokleen Bac-Out Natural Stain Remone – 128 ounces Enzymatic Odor & Stain Remover, for Pet Stains, Urine, Laundry.
This biodegradable enzyme cleaner is safe and effective. It quickly breaks down tough stains so they can be easily removed with little effort. This product works by breaking down the stain into small molecules that are no longer visible or sellable.
#7. Tide Odor Rescue In-Wash Laundry Booster Pacs (37000962243)
- Helps eliminate odors at the source
- It doesn't need a wash, it needs a rescue
- Cleans deep down at the fiber level to remove stains and odors
Tide Odor Rescue In-Wash Laundry Booster Pacs can be used with ALL Tide laundry detergent according to the manual. Store them in your laundry room, kitchen, or bathroom where the odor-causing bacteria thrive.
They are made of a medical-grade surfactant that will eliminate whatever odor you are trying to get rid of completely. The 25/27 Packs come with 27 wipes for either 2 people or 3 people (one pack per person) depending on how many people share the same room.
#8. Zero Odor – Laundry Odor Eliminator & Deodorizer
- ELIMINATE ODOR IN ALL YOUR LAUNDRY - Perfect for Athletic Clothes and Active and gym wear, pet bedding, blankets, smoke smell, etc
- CLEANS YOUR WASHING MACHINE - Eliminate Tough Laundry Odors and clean & deodorize your washing machine at the same time
- SAFE FOR YOU & YOUR WASHING MACHINE - Use in Traditional and HE Washing Machines, Safe to use with All Detergents. Nontoxic, Biodegradable, Safe for Human and Pet Bedding & Clothing
Zero Odor Laundry Odor Eliminator & Deodorizer removes odors from your laundry and keeps them from coming back! This powerful product is great for all types of laundry (heavy-duty) such as workout clothes, work uniforms, pet bedding, and more.
This product works by destroying odor-causing microbes with a combination of natural enzymes, citrus solvents, and antibacterial ingredients. Great for tough odor problems like urine & feces odors on dog beds, stinky gym clothes & shoes, or even those funny smells in your suitcase!
#9. Nature’s Miracle Laundry Boost 32 fl oz
- Use in addition to your laundry detergent or apply directly as pre-treatment for superior stain and odor remover
- Bio-enzymatic technology works on tough pet stains and odors
- Contains odor-locking technology for permanent odor removal
Nature’s Miracle Laundry Boost 32 fl oz, Laundry Bio-Enzymatic Formula, Breaks Down Urine, Blood, Vomit, Grease and Oil is a concentrated laundry booster.
It contains natural enzymes which break down stains and odors containing proteins, amino acids, and nucleic acids. For fresher smelling clothes.
#10. Rockin’ Green Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer
- NATURAL LAUNDRY PRETREATMENT - Do you have funky smelling laundry? Stinky athletic gear? Ammonia problems in your cloth diapers that make your eyes water? You need Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer!
- ADD TO PRE-WASH CYCLE - Just add 1 tbsp of Funk Rock and use the pre-wash cycle in your washing machine to eliminate stinky build-up and keep it from coming back. Awesome cloth diaper detergent...
- USE AS A DEEP CLEANING SOAK - Sometimes intense cleaning is needed, and we know it. For a deeper clean, use a couple of tablespoons of Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer powder in water to soak your stinkiest...
The Rockin’ Green Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer is a natural laundry pre-treatment that naturally boosts the appearance of your whites and removes odors from your whites. It is non-toxic, non-hazardous, safe for septic systems, and has no harsh chemicals that can harm your laundry.
The Rockin’ Green Funk Rock Natural Laundry Pre-Treatment Powder works by dissolving grease and lingering odors in the clothes! This product will work on most types of clothing!
#11. Febreze Laundry Odor Eliminator
- Febreze In-Wash Laundry Odor Eliminator, Fresh Scent, 50 Fluid Ounce (Pack of 2)
- Eliminates odors instead of masking them; Safe to use with all detergents, soaps, bleaches, fabric softeners, and other laundry additives
- Professional-strength formula is great for removing smells caused by pets, sports, cooking, perspiration, grease, smoking, mildew, and more
The Febreze Laundry Odor Eliminator, In-Wash Clothes Scent Booster, Deodorizer, Detergent Additive, and Fabric Refresher is a multi-purpose product that helps remove urine smell from dirty diapers and freshens laundry.
The Febreze in-home laundry odor eliminator boosts the power of your washer by getting rid of tough odors on their own. It does not require pre-washing of laundry or rinsing off the washing machine. It works to eliminate odors on contact!
#12. Febreze Laundry Pet Odor Eliminator
- Febreze In-Wash PET MAXIMUM STRENGTH Laundry Odor Eliminator, Fresh Scent, 98 oz
- Eliminates the toughest of pet odors instead of masking them; Safe to use with all detergents, soaps, bleaches, fabric softeners, and other laundry additives
- Maximum-strength formula is great for removing smells caused by your pets
The Febreze Laundry Pet Odor Eliminator, In-Wash Clothes Scent Booster, Deodorizer, Detergent Additive, Fabric Refresher, and Fresh Scent are the world’s best odor fighters.
The formula is safe for septic systems too so you can have clean laundry without worrying about your next cycle sending the extra down the drain. Each product contains no bleach or harsh chemicals, so there’s never any worry about damaging the fabric or fading colors.
#Q1 How to Get Urine Smell Out of Fabrics?
There are many methods you can use to remove the smell of urine from fabrics. It is important to be careful what you use and how you use it because some methods could cause permanent damage to your fabric.
– Check the tag on the clothing before you start using any cleaning product. Some clothing is not made for machine washing, so this could ruin it if your chosen method was the wash cycle.
– If the clothes are not washable, it is best to try a different method of removing odors from fabrics. Try baking soda – this will soak up the odor and help neutralize it.
– If you plan on using a machine washable garment as a method for getting rid of smells, try adding Borax or OxyClean before placing any clothes in with other garments.
#Q2 Why Does Urine Smell Bad?
This question is answered with the help of Dr. Poornima Nanda, a board-certified urologist with over twenty years of experience in urological surgery.
Dr. Nanda gives us a scientific explanation for the reason why urine smells bad: “There are two reasons for the unpleasant odor of urine. The first is that some people have an infection called urinary tract infection or UTI.
These infections give off a strong ammonia smell, and they don’t care who smells it.” The second reason for the bad smell is that as urine sits in your bladder, bacteria grow and form an acid which causes the unpleasant odors associated with chronic UTIs to come out.
#Q3 How to Buy Detergent for Sweat Stains?
With price points and product options varying for different detergents, it’s important to know what you’re looking for.
There are two types of detergents that do well with sweat stains: powdered and liquid. Powdered detergent is best for those who have a lot of clothes to wash and want a cheaper option.
Liquid laundry detergent is better for those who don’t have a lot of clothes to wash at once or those who need something mess-free.
#Q4 Is this detergent safe for colored clothes?
This detergent is safe for colored clothes. It is color-safe, which means it does not contain any dyes that will stain your clothes and cause them to look faded or discolored. It’s formulated with a special enzyme that removes dirt and stains from your clothes without leaving any noticeable residue on them, even if they are light-colored.
#Q5 What is the difference between liquid laundry detergent and powder?
Laundry detergent comes in two forms: liquid and powder. The powder is cheaper and usually less effective, but liquid detergent is more expensive. The difference between the two lies in the way they are mixed with water to produce suds. These suds help clean clothes by loosening dirt particles and lifting them away from fabric fibers.
Liquid detergents contain surfactants that are broken down into smaller molecules when they mix with water, which makes them more effective at creating bubbles or suds that cling to clothes and lift away dirt particles.
Powder laundry detergents contain only aggregated surfactants, which are not broken down in the water, so these powders create only small bubbles or no bubbles at all when mixed with water – making them less effective cleaning agents than liquid laundry detergent.
#Q6 Will this detergent dissolve in cold water properly?
A study by the Consumers Association in the UK has shown that most detergents do not dissolve properly in cold water. The researchers found that “some detergents when mixed with either hot or cold water produced a thick, slimy layer on top of the mixture”.
This is an important topic because it provides insight into how people should wash their clothes and how much care they need to take when doing so.