If you love live music, you should love enough to protect your hearing as well. Live music has distorted sound and noise rates that can be extremely harmful to your ears. You may know the effects of listening to loud sounds if you’ve ever heard ringing in your ears after a concert. The recurrent cause of this is tinnitus, with a ringing in the ears that never goes away.
Your best protection is to wear earplugs to avoid hearing loss. If you’ve ever been concerned you’re in luck that live music won’t sound as good. There are now numerous types of earplugs designed to maintain high fidelity to the sound of live music. For the concert-goer, these are the best earplugs for concerts.
Earplugs for Concerts Reviews
1. HEAROS Xtreme Foam Earplugs
- BEST IN CLASS QUALITY with Silky smooth, hypoallergenic, super soft proprietary formulation of polyurethane foam for an ultra premium user experience. Popular tapered shape with flat back and its well known blue color.
- ORIGINAL FORMULA - EASY TO INSERT and use. Comfortable roll down slow recovery foam gives user time to properly insert ear plugs and achieve the best, most comfortable fit every time
- NOISE REDUCTION RATING (NRR) 33 Decibels . The highest rating for a foam earplug. HEAROS Certified hearing protection offer provide an uncomprimized balance between performance and comfort. People with a smaller ear canal may want to try HEAROS Ultimate Softness Series
- PROTECT your hearing in loud environments at work and home. Block snoring noise so you fall asleep and stay asleep. Protect your hearing at concerts and jam sessions. Block annoying noises while traveling. Protect your hearing when shooting guns. Block noise so you can focus and study
- USES - Ideal for all of your noise reduction needs such as sleeping, studying, travel, meditation, reading, concerts, loud events, shooting and many more
Hearos makes great foam earplugs and just as advertised are the Ultimate Softness plugs — extremely comfortable. They also block a ton of noise at a reduction of -33dB. These are a fantastic option for long events where lower options for noise reduction would not also protect your ears, and where comfort is key. I suggest these earplugs for very long events like music festivals where comfort and high decibel reduction is more important than sound quality.
2. Etymotic Research ER20XS-CCC-C
- Includes: 1 pair Large Fit ER20XS High-Fidelity Earplugs, neck cord, and carrying case
- Ear tips are interchangeable and replaceable, making them the most cost-effective high-fidelity earplug.
- New, low-profile design fits snugly in the ear without protruding
- Comfortable to wear under hats, helmets and other headgear. Reduces the potential for hearing damage from machinery, vehicles, tools, sporting events, concerts.
- Sound QUALITY is so good, they're used by professional and amateur musicians. Hear the difference True high-fidelity makes. Reduces sound levels evenly so speech and environmental sounds are clear and natural.
- Not recommended for use with impulse noise, E.G., shooting sports. Not recommended for sleeping
Etymotic is a company that has invented earplugs with hi-fidelity. This is a company that makes audio equipment that is very hi-fi, and they know their stuff. Unlike normal earplugs, earplugs from Etymotic do not sound muffled or distorted— the levels of sound are simply lowered to safe levels. In other words, if you said live music doesn’t sound as good, there’s no excuse not to wear earplugs. I’ve been using Etymotic’s ER20 earplugs personally for years and they’re a great option. The Eargasm high fidelity earplugs, as an alternative, are similar in this space and worth considering.
3. Eargasm High Fidelity Earplugs
- PROTECT YOUR HEARING from harmful noise levels at loud events. Cut out excess sound from everyday life and your favorite activities.
- PRESERVES SOUND QUALITY with our patent pending innovative attenuation filters. Reduces noise evenly to maintain the full spectrum of sound while protecting hearing. Won’t muffle music or voices as foam plugs do.
- GET THE PERFECT FIT with two pairs of different sized earplug shells included with every order. Fits most normal to large ear sizes. Insert the included pair of attenuation filters into preferred shell size and earplugs are ready for immediate use!
- HYPOALLERGENIC PLUSH SILICONE earplug shells are non-toxic and comfortable for prolonged wear. Won’t cause itching or pressure pain. Ideal for all-day wear at festivals and long band practices.
- ERGONOMIC ALUMINUM CASE is over 35% shorter than competing brands for easy storage on your keychain. An anti-stick interior guarantees earplugs will always be easily removable. Waterproof rubber seal ensures their protection from moisture, dust and debris. Threading is uniquely placed on exterior of canister to prevent damage to earplugs when opening and closing.
Eargasm is a high-fidelity earplug that should be taken seriously. Like the Etymotic ER20xs and Eargasm earplugs, Eargasm promises an ideal earplug experience for concerts by producing a natural response to sound. The old excuse not to wear earplugs because these earplugs are not covered by the music “doesn’t sound good.”
The thing that I love about the Eargasm earplugs is that they come with two outer’ shells’ of different sizes— so you can pick the size that fits your ears and just drop into the sonic filter. While the Eargasm earplugs cost a little more than the similar Etymotic ER20xs, this two-size feature is enormous.
The comfort of earplugs— which can actually make or break your willingness to use them— is very important, and here it is nailed by Eargasm. The sound reduction offered by Eargasm earplugs is-16dB.
4. Earasers Musicians Plugs Medium
- Musicians Plugs Medium
- Whether you are a musician, attend concerts or are regularly exposed to music played at high levels, Earasers don't plug up your ears and muffle sound like more conventional earplugs
- Manufactured by a 45+ year hearing aid company, and developed by their lead engineer - a musician for over 20 years - Earasers filter out loud noise while still allowing you to hear at a safe, comfortable level
- Musicians have to be able to focus on the different layers of instrumentation
- Earasers utilize a unique attenuation "V filter" to provide an overall 5dB EPA rating of protection
Earasers are a Hi-Fidelity earplug with two goals: 1) Provide a level of fit and comfort without the expense of a custom earplug and need to see an audiologist; 2) Create a safe sound level hi-fi experience. The Earasers are shaped with a slightly oval shape, which is closer to the natural shape of the ear canal, unlike flanged or foam plugs. This ensures that the silicone molds were very close to the ear without applying as much friction force, which results in increased comfort.
This is huge for events such as festivals, where fatigue from the earplug is a real thing. The parent company is a hearing aids manufacturer, so I feel they can provide a level of expertise on extended comfort and product performance. The Earasers ‘ design is based on tips on hearing aids. Earasers offers three levels of decibel reduction at peak reduction: -19dB, -26dB, and-31dB.
This is all at a “hi-fidelity” attenuation, where a flat frequency response reduces sound levels. Earasers are also available in four sizes: x-small, small, medium and large. I love the ability to customize the size and attenuation for each individual’s needs. Earasers also allow exchanges to take place within 30 days if you end up ordering a size that is not ideally suited.
5. Decibullz Custom Molded Earplugs
- CUSTOM MOLDED EARPLUGS: Easily and quickly fitted to the exact shape of your ear. This creates a perfect fitting earplug that will never hurt, never fall out and provide superior noise isolation.
- EASY SHAPE SYSTEM: Simply heat the Decibullz thermoplastic molds in boiling water, let them cool for a bit, and shape them to your ears. That's it, and If you don't get the perfect fit the first time Decibullz are the only custom earplugs that are re-moldable.
- PERFECT FOR ANY SITUATION: Decibullz are perfect for shooting, traveling, working, loud concerts, and safety.
- INCLUDED WITH PURCHASE: Two Decibullz Thermoplastic Custom Molds, Three Sets of Triple Flange Tips S, M, L, One Set of Max Protect MEDIUM Foam Tips, Earplug Carrying Pouch with Decibullz Logo
- OUR STORY: Kyle Kirkpatrick is a Olympic level gymnastics coach, extreme athlete and a tech nerd. But he was fed up with headphones because they wouldn't stay in, sounded awful or hurt his ears. Kyle consulted audio engineers, material specialists and high-level athletes to develop and test hundreds of designs, formulas and prototypes in order to create an easy and affordable custom molded earphone. In February 2012 Kyle created the worlds first thermo-fit custom earphone and Decibullz was born.
I would highly recommend a pair of custom earplugs if you are a live music addict or work in the music industry. The one massive advantage of custom earplugs is that time after time they provide a perfect fit for extended use. This benefit can not be overestimated, especially for users who need competent, effective hearing protection. You can easily and quickly fit Decibullz Custom Molded Earplugs to the exact shape of your ear.
This creates a perfect fitting earplug that will never hurt, fail, and provide superior noise insulation. Simply heat the thermoplastic Decibullz molds in boiling water, let them cool down a little, and shape them to your ears. That’s it, and Decibullz is the only custom earplugs that can be re-molded if you don’t get the perfect fit the first time. Decibullz is the perfect place to shoot, ride, work, loud concerts, and security.
How to Choose the Best Earplugs for Concerts
While silicone and foam are the most common materials used for earplugs, plastic and wax are also used. Since many of them are food-grade, silicone plugs often contain antimicrobial, hypoallergenic and non-toxic properties. After each wear, they are considered the easiest to clean and maintain.
Foam earplugs are known inside the ear for their cozy, cushioned fit. These are ideal for people with sensitive ears or who want a more personalized fit. After prolonged use, foam tends to compress, so you need to replace them more frequently than silicone earplugs.
Size and Fit
Typically, Concert earplugs are designed for the average adult ear, and some packages feature multi-size sets to allow you to select a well-fitted pair. It is essential to find the right fit — earplugs should be snug, but not unnecessary pressure in your ear canal. If you wear earplugs that start falling out on their own, you’ll probably have to replace them.
When comparing concert earplugs, always refer to the Noise Reduction Rating. This score tests how many decibels the earplugs will keep out, which typically ranges from 11 to 27 decibels. Many materials are more effective at blocking sounds than others, such as rubber, which is denser and more robust than its equivalents in silicone or plastic. Instead of filtering it, foam blocks out noise, and there is also a fall in overall audio quality.
Here are my best earplugs for concerts based on our experience for earplug recommendations. Foam earplugs are great for casual music photographers or concert-goers. High-fidelity earplugs like the Etymotic Research ER-20xs or Eargasm earplugs are great if you absolutely love live music and want to hear every sound.
Related Buyer’s guides: